Friday, May 11, 2007

Day 131: Cancer

When I was ten years old, I remember being taken to the hospital nearly every night for a couple of weeks while my Mom was being treated for breast cancer. I can recall being scared all the time, but pretending to act normal so my sister would feel more at ease. I also remember crying while praying every single night, desperately trying to barter a deal with a God that I didn't understand. After extensive chemotherapy, she recovered and has been cancer free for the past 16 years. She runs 5 miles a day, eats healthier than me, and has been the model of health for quite a while.

Today, I found out my mom has a cancerous mass in her uterus and has to have an emergency hysterectomy right after Mother's Day. This is something I never wanted to face as an adult. I almost envy that kid, clueless to mortality rates and stages of growth. I'm so fucking numb right now.

2 comments:

James Lamb / tvjames said...

Mike - praying for your mom and your family. James

Anonymous said...

You can always call.
Magz