Monday, January 1, 2007

I don't know what I could be.

I lead an extremely boring life. Don't get me wrong, my lifestyle is virtually stress free. I have a wonderful family that loves me, an extremely easy job within walking distance, and a spacious downtown apartment with a vaulted ceiling & brick walls. I make enough money to pay for everything and have a bit to sock away each month.

My problem is a massive lack of change. I do the same thing day in and day out. I get up, take a shower, have a bowl of oatmeal, walk to work, go to lunch at 11 a.m., eat a tuna fish sandwich, hit Starbucks at 11:50 on my way back, finish work at 4:30, walk home, have chicken or a turkey burger for dinner, and play video games / watch TV until about midnight. Rinse repeat. Weekends are just extended versions of the last step:

I've tried to alter my repetitive behavior with little vacations to NYC to visit my sis, but it's just not enough. My personality has become one of an extreme introvert. I rarely leave my apartment when I'm away from work. I've blamed it on a lack of friends in the past, but the truth is I'm too afraid to try. For what reason, I have no idea.

So I was laying in bed, wide awake at 3:00 a.m. on New Years morning, looking for perspective and common sense finally dawned on me. I cannot change if I never open myself up to new experiences in my little corner of the world. For the entire year of 2007, I'm going to try something completely new to me every single day.

It could be something as comfortable as getting a massage to something as frightening as skydiving. It could be going up to a complete stranger to strike up a random conversation or calling my parents to let them know how much I love them. It could be volunteering at the local animal shelter or picking up a second job as a bartender. Any change would be welcome at this point.

And so the reinvention begins...

No comments: