Thursday, January 4, 2007

Day 4: Weird Fruit

My grocery habits have been pretty much set in stone. I buy the same stuff all the time. As for the fruit section, I stick to the standards: Strawberries, bananas, blueberries, and the occasional orange. So in the spirit of newness, I decided to patron the weird fruit isle at my local Publix this week. You know the one I'm talking about. The place where they stick all the hairy, mis-shaped freak fruit; the stuff that goes unnoticed.

Anyway, I walked out of there with 3 types of fruit I've never tried: A fresh coconut, a plantain, and a grapple:


The plantain is a cousin of the banana and the grapple seems to be some sort of cross-breed of a apple and a grape. It has the consistency and shape of an apple, but tastes like a grape. The grapple really tastes great, but it's way too expensive. $1.25 per grapple.

At the moment, I'm frying up the plantain. It's too tough to just bite into and they are supposed to be phenomenal fried. I'm using this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Puerto-Rican-Tostones-Fried-Plantains/Detail.aspx The coconut will be saved for desert, if I can manage to get inside. I've got a hacksaw, hammer, and gigantic pair of vice grips. I'll probably burn off more calories trying to get inside the darn thing than actually eating it.

No comments: