Saturday, January 13, 2007

Day 13: Filling the Jar

I'm a pop culture kind of guy with my forte being movies, TV, and technology. I can tear up anyone on the Kevin Bacon game or identify a celebrity voice in a commercial within the first couple seconds. It's a ridiculously useless talent. I never got into the music scene though. Sure I listen to what's on the radio, but I couldn't tell you who was singing, the name of the band, or the name of the song. Unfortunately, it really puts me at a loss in any type of conversation about music. In social situations, I have to sit around awkwardly until the topic changes.

I feel like Adam Sandler applying for a job at the bank in the Wedding Singer: "No, sir, I have no experience but I'm a big fan of money. I like it, I use it, I have a little. I keep it in a jar on top of my refrigerator. I'd like to put more in that jar. That's where you come in." That's me with music. "I like music, I use it, I remember a few songs that I keep in my head. I'd like to put more in that brain. That's where a new mp3 player comes in."

So I picked up this lovely little technological marvel today with my Christmas Best Buy gift card:


I realize buying a technological item isn't new to a guru like me, but spending the day discovering music is something I've never spent a substantial amount of time on. I'm finding out what I'm really passionate about and experiencing tons of auditory delights that I would have never tried otherwise.

Why did I pick the Zune over the massively popular Ipod? Let's see: It has a larger screen for videos, music subscription service which has an awesome loophole (Hint: free music), FM Radio with text display song descriptions, Wireless song transfer, and it comes in Brown! That's right, I said it; Brown. It’s actually pretty attractive and certainly blends in with my apartment. I suppose a minor reason for picking up the Zune was to be unique. It seems like everyone has an Ipod these days and it's actually anti-establishment to pick up a different type of player. So screw those dancing silhouettes!

Anyway, I need to get back to filling up this 30 gig of space. I think music is my new sickness. And that's lucky number 13.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Oh Oh! Can I suggest a small tour through punk music?

-The Buzzcocks "Orgasm Addict"
-Black Flag "White Minority"
-Patti Smith "Rock N Roll Nigger"
-New York Dolls "Trash"
-THE CLASH "Guns of Brixton"
-The Queers "Born To Do Dishes"
-Devotchkas "Mr.School Psychologist"

That should get you started. Fill the jar, my friend.

And for the love of god don't forget The Who.